Kelli Jones Diary: A cute gift for a cute kid

Monday, February 23, 2009

A cute gift for a cute kid

Several weeks ago we made plans with friends to meet for dinner this weekend. Since we first made plans, I have had something brewing in my mind as a gift for their adorable 2.5 year old daughter, Katie, who would also be coming.

I wanted to do some sort of quiet activity or kit, possibly some sort of felt book with a pocket full of the letters in her name. I also had in mind that I wanted it to be small and help to entertain her while we all visited. The weeks and the days have slipped by and I never got it together.

About two hours before we were going to meet, I pulled out a big box that holds my felt supply and a quick AND cute gift came together in about 20 minutes... a portable felt "board" and shapes.

For this project, I used 35% and 40% wool felt. I think it would work great with other wool blends or acrylic felt. I used Sizzix dies to cut the letters of her name - first and last, as well as a cute little shamrock in green. I cut out other shapes with scissors -- flowers, stems, leaves, lines to make a tic-tac-toe grid and small circles in various colors to be used as playing pieces or polka dots. A yellow circle can be a happy face when a mouth and eyes are added, or a shining sun when little rays are added.
The felt pieces cling to the background felt, so there are lots of possibilities for play and for learning. All of the pieces fit nicely in a slightly oversized gift card tin I had on hand. Two pieces of felt wrapped around the tin and tied with a ribbon completed the kit.

















































Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Katie's mom - I can say - this was a great gift! She has had lots of fun playing with the items - arranging them differently every time. And I'm so glad that there is no mess in this creative activity. Thanks, Kelli!

March 7, 2009 at 3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's really very cute gift for kids!! Love it's decoration!!

March 20, 2009 at 6:38 AM  
Blogger the JOHNSON family said...

I really love this idea! What a cool and simple gift!

April 3, 2009 at 7:51 AM  
Blogger the JOHNSON family said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 3, 2009 at 7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

   
www.howdoyouglue.com www.howdoyouglue.com